Chromebooks in the Classroom: Enter the KW Record!

To day we had quite the experience in Room 207 - a reporter and a photographer from the KW Record came to visit our classroom to learn about how we use Chromebooks. I was delighted when asked by senior admin to be a part of this article. I am proud to showcase the amazing learning taking place by so many students within WCDSB, and knew it would be a positive experience for the students and a way to connect beyond the walls of our classroom. I am making a conscious effort to check my own insecurities (the little voice that says Why me?) and think Why NOT me? and more importantly Why NOT my students? Saying YES to these experiences and opportunities might be a little uncomfortable, but it is when in these states that growth happens! I need to be reminded of this not just for myself, but also for my students.

Before he arrived, I wanted the students to have a chance to reflect, so quite simply I asked ...
"In what ways do we use Chromebooks to support our learning?" 

I was quite amazed with what they came up with in less than 5 minutes! We were able to sort all our ideas into five main applications: research, practice, feedback, going public, and connecting.

It was obvious from our conversations that the students do see these devices as tools that very much impact when, why, and how they learn.

When the reporter, Jeff Outhit, entered our class he spent a few minutes talking with me about the learning environment and gathering an overall understanding of the capabilities of the Chromebook in the classroom. More importantly, he was looking for the voice of the students and spent almost an hour in conversation with various groups of students. I sat back with pride as they shared their stories, their learning journeys... their engagement was evident.

Please click here to view the RW Record article!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Thoughtful Note (on Building Thinking Classrooms)

Puzzle Cube Project: Spatial Reasoning & Design Thinking

[Summer Reading] Comprehension and Collaboration: Inquiry Circles in Action